AAQG focuses on Quality
Improvement in quality through variance reduction in processes and procedures is the continual focus of the Americas Aerospace Quality Group (AAQG).
At the May 2001 meeting in Montreal, five initiatives were discussed that will impact quality in the aerospace business immediately. Available for purchase through SAE, the following documents and processes were harmonized on an international basis through the AAQG's participation in the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG).
- AS9100A, Quality Management Systems Aerospace Requirements: a complete quality system based on ISO 9001:2000.
- AS9102, Aerospace First Article Inspection Requirement: first article inspection.
- AS9103, Variation Management of Key Characteristics: a process for variance reduction of key characteristics (aerospace products).
- AS9131, Nonconformance Documentation: a common method for aerospace suppliers to report non-conformances.
- Planning Validation Process, a process which makes planning manufacturing process consistent and utilizes industry best practices.
These requirements will appear on Purchase Orders to suppliers of aerospace products and equipment. Suppliers will benefit from the ability to develop one system or process for aerospace products, which will satisfy Canadian, United States and South American aerospace prime contractors.
AAQG also agreed to implement the same requirements and systems on their internal manufacturing facilities.
For more information, contact Becky Lemon at 724-772-4083; e-mail: email@example.com; website: www.sae.org.