The steps of SAE article submission - Momentum
- Decide on an article topic and length. Articles should have some news hook; provide a good level of technical/engineering content, and mentions of as many corporate/university partners as possible. Article length could be about 500, 1000, or 1500 words with one image for every 250 words.
- Confirm article topic and length with editors by emailing or calling (contact information at bottom). Make sure to do this before actually writing the article.
- Once confirmed with editors as appropriate content, write the article and submit a draft via email by the 1st of the month two months prior to publication date. (For example, for a September issue, you must submit your article by July 1st.)
- Submissions must include original text and image files, as well as signed copyright transfer form, attached to email:
- Text file
- Deck (if a feature): a one- or two-sentence explanation of the article contents to entice reader to read
- Body, with subheads if more than 1000 words
- One- or two-sentence bio on authors of article
- Captions, in order that they should appear in article, preceded by the filename of the corresponding electronic image.
- Electronic images: the bigger the better
- At least 3 inches wide, but preferably 6 or more inches wide, at 300 dots or pixels per inch (divide dot or pixel count by 300 to get potential print image width in inches)
- JPEGs are preferred, TIFFs are acceptable, and we accept PowerPoint slides with proper image instructions
- Signed copyright transfer form
- Web links to additional information/content
- Supporting audio/video files
- Text file
- Make sure that you have permission to use any images you are submitting. If the image is on a website, you often need to get the permission of whoever owns the rights to an image. (Do not just right click and save any image that you want.) If you are unsure whether or not you are allowed to use an image, feel free to email or call and we will be happy to help. Media websites are also great resources to find images that you may use. Many companies and organizations have a section of their website called "Press" or "About Us" or "Media," that will include pictures for the media to use. Also please make sure that your image is the appropriate size. See step 4, section b for size requirements.
- If you receive feedback that your article needs some fine-tuning, make any necessary changes and resubmit it by the date the editor requests. (Promptness is greatly appreciated.)
Contact the editors:
400 Commonwealth Dr., Warrendale, PA 15096-0001