The steps of SAE article submission
- Decide on an article topic and length. Articles should have some news hook; provide a good level of technical/engineering content, and mentions of as many corporate partners as possible. Article length could be about 500, 1000, or 1500 words with one image for every 250 words.
- Confirm article topic and length with editors by emailing or calling (contact information at bottom). Make sure to do this before actually writing the article.
- Once confirmed with editors as appropriate content, write the article and submit a draft via email by the 1st of the month two months prior to publication date. (For example, for a September issue, you must submit your article by July 1st.)
- Submissions must include original text and image files, as well as signed copyright transfer form, attached to email:
- Text file
- Deck (if a feature): a one- or two-sentence explanation of the article contents to entice reader to read
- Body, with subheads if more than 1000 words
- One- or two-sentence bio on authors of article
- Captions, in order that they should appear in article, preceded by the filename of the corresponding electronic image.
- Electronic images: the bigger the better
- At least 3 inches wide, but preferably 6 or more inches wide, at 300 dots or pixels per inch (divide dot or pixel count by 300 to get potential print image width in inches)
- JPEGs are preferred, TIFFs are acceptable, and we accept PowerPoint slides with proper image instructions
- Signed copyright transfer form
- Web links to additional information/content
- Supporting audio/video files
- If you receive feedback that your article needs some fine-tuning, make any necessary changes and resubmit it by the date the editor requests. (Promptness is greatly appreciated.)
Contact the editors:
400 Commonwealth Dr., Warrendale, PA 15096-0001
Automotive Engineering International
SAE Off-Highway Engineering
SAE Vehicle Electrification
Truck & Bus Engineering Online