Tuesday at the SAE 2016 World Congress
WARRENDALE, Pa., April 12, 2016 - Tuesday at SAE World Congress
Shahid Khan, President and Owner of Flex-N-Gate Corp. and Owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, will deliver the grand opening keynote address of the SAE 2016 World Congress on Tuesday from 8:30 to 9:45 a.m. in the AVL Technology Leadership Center. Flex-N-Gate is the 14th-largest North American automotive supplier, employing more than 16,000 people at 52 manufacturing and nine product development and engineering facilities throughout Canada, the United States, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, and Spain.
Khan, who received a bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering from the University of Illinois, also has interests in biofuels and structural engineering, recently launching Bio-Alternative LLC, a biofuels research and development company, and Smart Structures, which advances the technology of bridge monitoring, also known as structural health monitoring (SHM).
• The Honorable John P. Carlin, Assistant Attorney General for National Security, U.S. Department of Justice, will be the featured speaker during the opening management program. Carlin will speak at 9:30 a.m. in the AVL Technology Leadership Center.
His presentation, titled “Emerging National Security Cyber Threats and Their Implications for the C-Suite,” will address the growing threat posed by sophisticated computer intrusions to the transportation sector and the economy at large, and the role the U.S. government and the private sector must play in protecting companies before, during, and after a serious hack. He will also address the unique challenges C-suite executives, CIOs, CISOs, general counsels, and other corporate representatives face in assessing corporate cyber risks and responding to cyber incidents in today’s elevated threat environment.
• More than 150 middle school students from 10 Detroit area schools will participate in the 5th Annual A World In Motion (AWIM) International Motorized Toy Car Competition today from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Hall D Cobo Center, Detroit. The Motorized Toy Challenge is set up as a friendly competition where students (in engineering design teams of three or four) compete in a variety of engineering design competitions that demonstrate the classroom-based AWIM experience they have engaged in for the weeks leading up to the competition.
• The Career Fair, open today from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., will allow mobility industry engineers and professionals to explore available jobs, network, and meet with professional recruiters, and representatives from OEMs and suppliers. The fair will feature nearly 40 exhibiting companies
• Today’s AVL Technology Leadership Center sessions include “The Future of Mobility and Transportation in the 21st Century” (9:45-11:45 a.m.) and “Connectivity in the 2020s” (1:30-3:30 p.m.), with expert panelists from General Motors, Toyota, University of Michigan, Google, and Venable LLP.
• Sessions in the FEV Innovation Forum include: “Why It’s Likely That There Will Be an Electrified Vehicle in Your Future?” (10 a.m.-noon) and “Material Science and Innovative Engineering Practice Is Putting the Auto Industry on a Diet” (1-3 p.m.) Panels will feature experts from Toyota, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Denso International America, FEV, and Faurecia.
• Back for its second year, the SAE Tech Hub will present technical innovations and concepts critical to the advancement and growth of the automotive industry. A couple of the topics to be discussed today include:
—“Next Generation Automotive Interiors & Interaction Design” (11:30 a.m.) by Dirk Wan, a second-year transportation design MFA student at College for Creative Studies.
— “Design for Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes” (1 p.m.) by Jan Vandenbrande, a program manager in the DARPA Defense Science Office.
• The keynote speaker for today’s Young Professionals Luncheon (11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.) will be Felicia Turrentine Wasson, Director, Public Affairs & Communication for The Coca-Cola Company, North America Group. The YP Lounge, located in front of the SAE Tech Hub within the Innovator's Only Exhibition (Booth #631), will be open today from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and Speed Mentoring “Executives Connecting with Future Leaders” will be held from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• The Annual Business Meeting of the members of SAE International will begin at 3:30 p.m. in the FEV Forum (Grand Ballroom A). During the meeting, SAE President Cuneyt Oge will announce the 2016 Board of Directors, discuss his presidential focus areas, and the SAE Annual Report will be presented. David L. Schutt, SAE Chief Executive Officer, will share a 2015 year-end report.
• At 2 p.m. in the Portside Ballroom (Room 260), attendees can hear finalists compete for a chance to win more than $200,000 in business acceleration services at the 8th Annual Innovation Accelerator Competition. The collaborative event between SAE International and MI Innovation Alliance seeks to find innovative companies with promising ideas to solve problems within today’s automotive industry.
• The Awards & Recognition Ceremony will be held at 5:30 p.m. in Riverview Ballroom A, where 155 engineers will be recognized for their exceptional accomplishments and contributions to the mobility industry. Among the honorees are Bob Lee, Vice President–Engine Powertrain and Electrified Propulsion Systems Engineering with FCA–North America, winner of the SAE Franz F. Pischinger Powertrain Innovation Award.