|FINAL REPORT ON COLD STARTING OF RECIPROCATING AIRCRAFT ENGINES
Conventional internal conbustion a i r c r a f t engines require the same
basic conditions for starting in cold weather as they do in warn
weather. These are:
(1) The engine must be cranked a t a reasonable speed.
( 2 ) A combustible mixture must be delivered t o the
(3) An ignition spark must be supplied which is capable of
igniting t'ne charge a t the proper t i m e .
(4) The fits and olearanoes of mating parts in the engine
m u s t be such that normal Sunctions occur a t a l l
(5) The engine must receive a usable lubricant.
(6) The engine must develop s u f f i c i e n t power t o overcome
its own f r i c t i o n and accelerate itself t o the desired