Are you Ready to Ride in a Self-Driving Car?
SAE Demo Day at Cobo Center in Detroit, MI
SAE International in partnership with PAVE [Partners for Automated Vehicle Education] invites you to experience the future by taking a ride in a self-driving car provided by Dataspeed, Inc., a Metro Detroit based company.
Detroit is an iconic American city with a long history of supporting and embracing innovation and culture. We look forward to engaging with the citizens of Detroit and providing an opportunity for our partners to showcase the work they are doing with self-driving technologies.
Join us for this free event with complimentary parking!
Demo Day Schedule:
- Friday, April 5: 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, April 6: 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, April 7: 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Space is limited; book your ride in a self-driving car today!
Experience the Future First-Hand
What will your first experience be like in an autonomous vehicle? Watch the experiences of previous SAE demo day participants.
How to Book Your Ride
- Click ‘Register Now’ then click the calendar on the registration page.
- Select a day you would like to attend then click the desired time range
- Complete the required registration information.*
*Please note: each rider occupying a seat must register individually; even younger children.
A confirmation email will be sent to the address provided with your registration. Please email email@example.com if you do not receive one.
What to Expect on the Day of Your Ride
- Plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled time to take the pre-ride survey
- All riders [including teenage children] will be required to complete a questionnaire before the ride. This survey will help us understand your perception of self-driving technology and how you see it impacting your life.
- Plan to stay a minimum of 1 hour
- You are welcome to stay longer!
- Continue your experience at the interactive displays that offer a hands-on look into the engineering happening 'under the hood.'
- Come to Cobo Center in downtown Detroit
- Use the rooftop parking entrance at: 467 W Congress St, Detroit, MI 48226
- Take/keep ticket to enter the garage.
- Park near and enter doors for Elevator 2 – look for the SAE Demo Day flag.
- Take elevator to Floor 2.
- Make a right onto the hallway, walk to Hall B and check-in at the Welcome Desk.
- Also accessible via the People Mover.
- Sign in, get your rider badge and enjoy the ride!
- An orientation guide will meet you and explain the event.
- Take the pre-ride survey.
- Ride in the self-driving car!
- Take the post-ride survey and pick up your parking voucher.
- Visit the interactive displays and engage with our team of industry experts.
- When exiting
- After your post-ride survey, you will get a parking voucher.
- When exiting the roof: insert your original parking ticket then your parking voucher.
- If special assistance is needed, check the box on the registration form and we will connect with you directly.
Share your experience and your photos using #SAEDemoDay
Preferred Time Slots Booked? Join the Waitlist.
If the time and date you want for the demo ride is unavailable, come to Cobo Center, add your name to our wait list and experience the interactive displays; spots can open up.
Special Assistance Needed?
SAE will do what is feasible to make its events reasonably accessible to attendees. If you have special accommodation needs, please let us know in advance by checking the ‘assistance needed’ box on the registration form and providing a brief description of how we can serve you better. Accommodations requested onsite will be provided only if possible for us to do so on short notice.
Space is limited. Should you need to cancel after you have booked a reservation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know, or call our Guest Line at 888-210-6728.
Experience SAE Demo Days
Highlights from Babcock Ranch
SAE International recently unveiled a new visual chart. It is designed to clarify and simplify the standard for the “Levels of Driving Automation” that defines six levels of driving automation, from SAE Level Zero (no automation) to SAE Level 5 (full vehicle autonomy). It serves as the industry’s most-cited reference for automated-vehicle (AV) capabilities.
SAE International is a global association committed to advancing mobility knowledge and solutions for the benefit of humanity. By engaging nearly 200,000 engineers, technical experts and volunteers, we connect and educate mobility professionals to enable safe, clean, and accessible mobility solutions. We act on two priorities: encouraging a lifetime of learning for mobility engineering professionals and setting the standards for industry engineering. We strive for a better world through the work of our philanthropic SAE Foundation, including programs like A World in Motion® and the Collegiate Design Series™.
The mission of the SAE Foundation is to encourage and increase student achievement and participation in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to build a STEM-fluent workforce. Funds raised by the SAE Foundation support SAE International’s award-winning A World In Motion® (AWIM) program, Collegiate Design SeriesTM (CDS), awards and scholarships.
SAE’s STEM education programs enable students to develop the 21st century skills needed to succeed in real-world work environments and connect classroom learning with real-life application. Overall, SAE’s STEM programs have reached more than 5 million students worldwide and engaged more than 30,000 STEM industry professionals as volunteers. Get involved today www.saefoundation.org
About our Partners
PAVE is a diverse coalition of industry, nonprofit and academic institutions with one goal: To engage with the public on the facts regarding automated vehicles so that everyone can fully participate in shaping the future of transportation. PAVE members believe that fact-based, hype-free information will help the public to better understand automated vehicle technology and its potential benefits for safety, mobility and sustainability.
Learn about the technology behind autonomous vehicles while riding in a self-driving Dataspeed car! Demonstrations will utilize Lidar, mapping, and localization to autonomously navigate through an area. You’ll also gain knowledge on teleoperation by chatting with our safety driver while you control the vehicle from the backseat.
National Safety Council
My Car Does What? The National Safety Council works to eliminate preventable death in the workplace, on the road, and in homes and communities. The work to develop the fully self-driving car is changing the world of driving safety rapidly. But we don’t have to wait for these vehicles to be available to help save lives now. New car safety technologies are being added to cars faster than any earlier generation. Even features that have been around for years are getting smarter and changing into new features entirely. But how do these safety features work? When should they be used? How can they help me? MyCarDoesWhat helps drivers answer these questions. Other NSC initiatives focus on how to help drivers today complete their trips safely, and prepare for the future of automation.