Through the SAE AeroConnect Challenge™ universities will think critically about emerging technology issues relevant to the connected aircraft industry. Teams of university students will identify a real-world connected aircraft problem and develop a UAV system to solve their identified problem. Immersed in the SAE International’s AeroTech® conference, universities will present their solution in various ways including a technical presentation and on the SAE International’s AeroTech® show floor.
The SAE AeroConnect Challenge™ is the inaugural student engineering design competition in the SAE Emerging Technology Series, which provides an opportunity for students to think critically about current and future emerging technologies in the mobility engineering industry. Each program within the SAE Emerging Technology Series challenges universities to create a team of multi-disciplinary engineers to collaborate, design, present, and defend conceptual designs to industry professionals.
The formal education objectives of SAE AeroConnect Challenge™ include that participants will demonstrate the ability to:
- Think critically about current and future emerging technology issues relevant to connected aircraft.
- Research and define a problem statement currently experienced in the connected aircraft industry.
- Design a technically capable and affordable UAV system to meet the needs of the mission and stated requirements.
- Communicate technical information using the SAE International Technical Paper format.
- Create a Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Use a Preliminary Design Review Presentation to present and defend in-depth conceptual designs.
- Communicate their solution to industry professionals using a SAE AeroTech® Floor Showcase Booth.
- Work on a multi-disciplinary team to solve a real-world industry problem outside of the classroom.