Through the SAE AeroConnect Challenge™ universities will think critically about emerging technology issues relevant to the connected aircraft industry. Teams of university students will design and develop, conceptually, an Urban Air Mobility System in response to a Florida based theme park request for proposal for upgrade to current mobility. Immersed in the SAE International’s AeroTech conference, universities will present their solution in various ways including a technical design presentation and a showcase opportunity on SAE International’s AeroTech show floor.
The SAE AeroConnect Challenge™ is a student engineering design competition in the SAE Emerging Technology Series, which provides an opportunity for students to think critically about current and future emerging technologies in the mobility engineering industry. Each program within the SAE Emerging Technology Series challenges universities to create a team of multi-disciplinary engineers to collaborate, design, present, and defend conceptual designs to industry professionals.
The formal education objectives of SAE AeroConnect Challenge™ include that participants will demonstrate the ability to:
- Think critically about current and future emerging technology issues relevant to Urban Air Mobility.
- Research and define based on a proposal for a new theme park experience.
- Design a technically capable and affordable Urban Air Mobility System to meet the needs of the theme park and their mass populations.
- Communicate technical information using the SAE International Technical Paper format.
- Create a Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Use a Preliminary Design Review Presentation to present and defend in-depth conceptual designs.
- Communicate their solution to industry professionals at their own SAE AeroTech Floor Showcase Booth.
- Work on a multi-disciplinary team to solve a real-world industry problem outside of the classroom.