Help Students Design an Innovative STEM Solution
SAE International’s A World In Motion® (AWIM®) proudly announces the 2022 Chowdhury STEM Innovation Contest! Elementary and middle school students are asked to choose a real-world issue to research, imagine and design their own STEM solution, then create a digital presentation to share their ideas in a fun, engaging way.
The contest is open to students in grades 4-8 in the U.S. and Canada. Both individuals and teams of up to four students are welcomed. Participating students must have an adult mentor (18 years or older). Previous experience with AWIM is not required.
Simple to Register. Free to Participate. Over $20,000 in Prizes!
Students Who Enter Will:
- Identify and research a critical issue
- Design and describe a creative STEM solution
- Share information in an interactive presentation
- Have fun while solving a real-world problem
- Work with school friends (and make new ones)
- Stay engaged in a virtual environment
- Gain new STEM skills
- Chance to win great prizes
Mentors Who Enter Will:
- Review requirements with students and provide support
- Connect with students in your class or community
- Collaborate with the children in your family
- Empower kids to solve problems
- Have fun with a remote volunteer opportunity
- Encourage students to explore new ideas in STEM
- Register students by Monday, November 15, 2021
- Submit student entries by Monday February 28, 2022
About the Subir and Malini Chowdhury Foundation
The Chowdhury STEM Innovation contest is made possible by a generous grant to the SAE Foundation. The Subir and Malini Chowdhury Foundation is committed to supporting quality STEM education, fostering critical & creative thinking, and encouraging young learners to become tomorrow’s innovators today.
What great ideas will your students share?
What Students Need to Know
Working individually or as a team of up to four members, identify and research a real-world issue you care about. Describe who is affected and how.
Brainstorm and describe your design for a new solution to the problem using STEM concepts. Share your ideas in an interactive presentation such as a game, website, video, or comic book.
Simply register and submit your project with the help of your mentor (teacher, family member, club or group leader). You can compete for a chance to win up to $10,000 in prizes and donations!
Over $20,000 in total prizes will be awarded. Winners can choose from exciting prize packages including Apple products or Chromebooks, gaming accessories, a STEM gift card for your class or club, a $1,000 charity* donation, and more! Top submissions will also be featured in AWIM classrooms and beyond.
*Winners may suggest a preferred charity organization; donations must be relevant to the issue and approved and submitted by SAE on the students’ behalf.
A Review Committee will use the contest rubric to award points in these categories:
- Describe Your Real-World Issue 20%
- Design Your STEM Solution 30%
- Create Your Digital Presentation 50%