The contract modification to a previously awarded firm-fixed-price advanced acquisition contract (N00019-17-C-0001) is valued at $22,712,874,822 for Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II family of single-seat, single-engine, all-weather stealth multirole fighters designed to perform ground-attack and air-superiority missions. The Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Maryland, is the contracting activity.
This modification provides for the production and delivery of:
- 106 F-35 aircraft for the U.S. services (64 F-35As Air Force; 26 F-35Bs Marine Corps; 16 F-35Cs Navy);
- 89 F-35s for non-Department of Defense (DoD) participants (71 F-35As, 18 F-35 Bs); and
- 60 F-35s for Foreign Military Sales customers (60 F-35As).
The U.S. aircraft quantities are for the Lot 12 program of record plus fiscal 2018/fiscal 2019 aircraft quantity congressional adds.
Read more: Peruse SAE International's extensive portfolio of technical information about the F-35 military aircraft.
Work will be performed in:
- Fort Worth, Texas (57 percent);
- El Segundo, California (14 percent);
- Warton, United Kingdom (9 percent);
- Cameri, Italy (4 percent);
- Orlando, Florida (4 percent);
- Nashua, New Hampshire (3 percent);
- Baltimore, Maryland (3 percent);
- San Diego, California (2 percent);
- Nagoya, Japan (2 percent); and
- various locations outside the continental U.S. (2 percent).
Work is expected to be completed in March 2023.
Fiscal 2018 and 2019 aircraft procurement funds (Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy) in the amount of:
- $3,505,522,468 (59 percent);
- non-DoD participant funds in the amount of $1,578,531,164 (26 percent); and
- Foreign Military Sales funds in the amount of $916,667,000 (15 percent).
A total of $6,000,720,632 will be obligated at time of award, none of which will expire at the end of the current fiscal year.
Bookmark http://www.sae.org/news to keep pace with the latest aerospace technology news & information.
Learn about AeroPaks to access 8,000+ SAE aerospace standards, specifications, recommended practices, and resource documents available in SAE MOBILUS.
Subscribe to SAE MOBILUS for access to more than 200,000 resources, including aerospace standards, technical papers, eBooks, magazines, and video.
Working on aerospace systems and platforms? Wrestling with challenges? Have aerospace wisdom to share for the greater good of the industry? You're invited to get involved with SAE International -- contact email@example.com to contribute and add your voice to the growing body of knowledge.
Courtney E. Howard is editorial director and content strategist at SAE International, Aerospace Products Group. Contact her by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continue reading »