Grades of SAE Membership


Full-time college/university students pursuing studies leading to any associate, bachelor, masters, or doctoral degree.


Anyone whose affiliation supports the objectives of SAE but does not meet the requirements for Member grade.


Established engineers, scientists, and other professionals who have a qualified college or university degree in engineering; or have the required equivalent years of technical education and professional technical experience; or have distinguished service and noteworthy accomplishments. Individuals with a Member grade are entitled to vote on matters submitted to a vote of the membership.


The most prestigious grade established to recognize individuals for extraordinary leadership, creativity, and accomplishments in science, engineering, and technology covered by SAE. You must be nominated by other SAE members to be considered for this grade.

Learn More


Joint members are members from organizations with which SAE has a joint membership agreement.

Changing Your Grade From Associate to Member

Complete the membership grade change form, including your member number and click "Process My Form."

Grades of Membership

You are assigned a grade of membership, Student, Associate, or Member, based on your educational background, experience and level of engineering involvement.

SAE Membership FAQs

Questions about your Member grade?

Go to your MySAE page or contact SAE Customer Service:
877-606-7323 (in the U.S. and Canada)
724-776-4970 (outside the U.S. and Canada)
Fax: 724-776-0790