1963-01-01

Heat Balance and Cooling of Heavy Duty Engines 630331

We pay for all fuel supplied to an engine, but in most cases get back only 33% of investment in the form of brake horsepower. The remaining 67% appears as heat in the engine jacket water, heat in the exhaust gas, and radiated heat.
This paper deals with the energies coming out of the engine; where they come from, their intensities, and their disposal or recovery. Graphs show trends of output energies as influenced by engine load, speed, and atmospheric conditions.
Properly designed cooling systems and their installations are covered in the text and shown in illustrations.

SAE MOBILUS

Subscribers can view annotate, and download all of SAE's content. Learn More »

Access SAE MOBILUS »

Members save up to 18% off list price.
Login to see discount.
Special Offer: Download multiple Technical Papers each year? TechSelect is a cost-effective subscription option to select and download 12-100 full-text Technical Papers per year. Find more information here.
We also recommend:
TECHNICAL PAPER

New Type of NOx Sensors for Automobiles

961130

View Details

TECHNICAL PAPER

COMPOSITION OF DIESEL EXHAUST GAS

500183

View Details

TECHNICAL PAPER

Influence of Fin Aspect Ratio on Heat Transfer Enhancement

920547

View Details

X