1997-05-19

New Concept of Engine Cooling System (Newcool) 971775

The targets of this study are:
  • cost reduction of all engine cooling components,
  • gasoline consumption reduction,
  • weight reduction of the engine cooling system,
  • improvement of the thermal comfort in passenger compartment.
To reach these targets, Valeo Engine Cooling is developing a new concept in engine cooling. This basic concept consists of adding a small electric water pump, 30 to 60W, instead of the conventional engine driven water pump of up to 1 to 2 KW. This small electric water pump provides a flow rate of approximately 1000L/h.
With a liquid flow rate of 1000L/h, this conceptual system can ensure engine cooling at speeds up to 120 Km/h under convective cooling in normal conditions. That is to say, it can supply 95% of the flow requirements (see appendix ) of a vehicle at the same performance level as a conventional cooling system. The remaining 5% of the requirements, at vehicle speeds greater than 120 Km/h, and hill climbing has been resolved by the use of nucleate boiling in the cylinder head. Again, this concept works in 95% of the cases by forced liquid convection heat exchange like conventional cooling system, and only 5% by nucleate boiling heat exchange.

SAE MOBILUS

Subscribers can view annotate, and download all of SAE's content. Learn More »

Access SAE MOBILUS »

Members save up to 18% off list price.
Login to see discount.
Special Offer: Download multiple Technical Papers each year? TechSelect is a cost-effective subscription option to select and download 12-100 full-text Technical Papers per year. Find more information here.
We also recommend:
TECHNICAL PAPER

Balance between Reliability and Robustness in Engine Cooling System Optimal Design

2007-01-0594

View Details

TECHNICAL PAPER

Nucleate Boiling Engine Cooling System - Vehicle Study

931132

View Details

TECHNICAL PAPER

Automatic Control of Electronic Actuators for an Optimized Engine Cooling Thermal Management

2001-01-1758

View Details

X