This document contains recommended practices for the effective control of non-deliverable software. It addresses practices for control during the development, production, release maintenance, and retirement of non-deliverable software, as well as for software procured from outside manufacturers and incorporated in the production, evaluation, test, acceptance or calibration of processes.
For the purposes of this document, the terms software and non-deliverable software are considered synonymous.
The guidelines in this ARP apply to non-deliverable software that:
- directly relates to design, manufacture, inspection, test or calibration of a deliverable product, and
- directly affects the configuration, conformity or quality of a deliverable product.
The following are not within scope of this ARP:
- deliverable software (reference AS9006),
- business systems or office software,
- information systems software for business applications,
- prototype software that is not intended for delivery, and
- software that only enables the operations of other software or devices in the performance of required tasks that do not affect product conformity.