Browse Standards J1661_199811
Historical REVISED 1998-11-01

Procedure Retrofitting CFC-12 (R-12) Mobile Air-Conditioning Systems to HFC-134a (R-134a) J1661_199811

The purpose of this SAE Recommended Practice is to provide a service procedure for retrofitting a CFC-12 (R-12) system to HFC-134a (R-134a) while preserving performance and integrity of the air-conditioning (A/C) system. The steps outlined in this procedure are complete when combined with good service practices and the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations (if available) for retrofitting their models.

Separate service equipment, for CFC-12 (R-12) and HFC-134a (R-134a), including refrigerant recovery/recycle (R/R), service manifolds, vacuum pumps, and charging equipment shall be used to preserve the purity of the refrigerants and the mobile A/C systems. This procedure will minimize release of refrigerant to the atmosphere, and will preserve the integrity of the recycled CFC-12 (R-12) and HFC-134a (R-134a) supplies.

This document applies to A/C systems used to cool the passenger compartment of automobiles, light trucks, and other vehicles with similar CFC-12 (R-12) systems. Due to technical advancements in recent years, this procedure is recommended for common vehicle platforms produced in the mid-1980s and later. Vehicles produced before this time period may require additional retrofit requirements. A/C systems used on mobile vehicles for refrigerated cargo that have hermetically sealed systems are not covered by this document.

This document is only complete when combined with the requirements of SAE J1657 "Selection Criteria for Retrofit Refrigerants to Replace CFC-12 (R-12) in Mobile Air-conditioning Systems."



Subscribers can view annotate, and download all of SAE's content. Learn More »


Members save up to 18% off list price.
Login to see discount.
Special Offer: J-Paks offers a customized subscription plan that lets you pay for just the documents that you need, when you need them.

Get Involved

Want to participate in updating this standard?