SENT - Single Edge Nibble Transmission for Automotive Applications
This document defines a level of standardization in the implementation of the digital pulse scheme for reporting sensor information via Single Edge Nibble Transmission (SENT) encoding. This standard will allow ECU and tool manufacturers to satisfy the needs of multiple end users with minimum modifications to the basic design. This standard will benefit vehicle Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) by achieving lower ECU costs due to higher industry volumes of the basic design.
Requirements stated in this document provide a minimum standard level of performance to which all compatible ECUs and media shall be designed. This assures data communication among all connected devices regardless of supplier.
This document is a communication interface specification and no to be treated as product specification.
The intended audience includes, but is not limited to, ECU suppliers, sensor suppliers, component release engineers and vehicle system engineers.
Rationale: 1. Clarified clock variation refers to variation in clock tick time.
2. New appendix for High Speed 12 bit Sensors.
3. Changes for initialization and non-usage of serial message.
4. Changes to support option for independent 5V supply in sensor
5. Serial message cycle changed to ≤ 64 messages for greater flexibility and to allow more time for diagnostic information.
6. Clarification to EMC Susceptibility testing guidelines for Erroneous SENT frames which remain undetected by the SENT CRC
7. Added Appendix A.6 Temperature Sensor requirements
8. Added APPENDIX E
9. Added APPENDIX G for recommended connector
10. Created APPENDIX H (SENT Data Frame Formats) and moved generic sensor requirements from APPENDIX A to APPENDIX H
11. Changes to support higher current sensors
12. Added E.3 Error Messages and Signals
13. Added A.7 Position Sensors and Combined Position Temperature Sensors
14. Added Overview of SENT standard structure (3.2)
Included in: Surface Vehicle Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Subscription Learn More
Included in: Vehicle Electrification Subscription Learn More