Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) Message Set Dictionary™
This SAE Standard specifies a message set, and its data frames and data elements, specifically for use by applications intended to utilize the 5.9 GHz Dedicated Short Range Communications for Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments (DSRC/WAVE, referenced in this document simply as “DSRC”) communications systems. Although the scope of this Standard is focused on DSRC, this message set, and its data frames and data elements, have been designed, to the extent possible, to be of potential use for applications that may be deployed in conjunction with other wireless communications technologies as well. This Standard therefore specifies the definitive message structure and provides sufficient background information to allow readers to properly interpret the message definitions from the point of view of an application developer implementing the messages according to the DSRC Standards.<p> <b>You May Also Be Interested In:</b></br> <a href=" http://standards.sae.org/j2735asn_201603/"><i> Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) Message Set Dictionary™ ASN file </i>includes the ASN file (ZIP format) – download purchase only</a> <p> <font color=”FF0000”><b>Buy both as a set and save!</b></font color=”FF0000”></br> <a href=" http://standards.sae.org/j2735set_201603/"><i> Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) Message Set Dictionary™ Set </i>includes the ASN files and the J2735 PDF (ZIP format) – download purchase only</a>
Rationale: The SAE J2735 standard provides the definition of messages and corresponding contents to support applications standards being developed in the J2945/x series of standards. The data dictionary in the current version of SAE J2735 also includes message and content definitions that have not yet been used by specific SAE applications standards.
This J2735 revision will provide general clarifications and improvements, including the following items:
- Incorporate new or modifications to messages, including data frames and data elements, from the J2945/x documents.
- Deprecate agreed upon unused data element and data frame definitions, moving them into an informative section of the document.
- Update the name of the standard to V2X Data Dictionary or another term that is technology neutral (names to be solicited from the committee).
- Evaluate and address potential overlaps or gaps with the Traffic Management Data Dictionary (TMDD) and other standards, as needed.
- Generate corresponding ASN.1 for the revised J2735.
Updates to J2735 will be made such that they-
- minimize the redundancy of objects,
- ensure backward compatibility of the encoded messages "over the air" with the current version of the standard (except on items the TC agrees to deprecate because they are not being used),
- prioritize standardized applications (noting that recommended practices for research applications can be developed separately).