This Recommended Practice provides a taxonomy and definitions for terms related to shared mobility, urban air mobility, and enabling technologies. Included are functional definitions for shared surface transportation and urban aviation modes.
Rationale: Standardizing definitions of shared mobility, urban air mobility, and supporting terms serves several purposes:
• It will help reduce traveler uncertainty regarding mobility services, confusion about terminology used by the media, and discrepancies in terminology used internationally that contribute to public confusion and misperceptions.
• It will allow public agencies to clarify policies related to shared mobility, such as insurance, taxation, rights-of-way, parking, and zoning.
• It will allow national aviation authorities to clarify policies related to urban air mobility that could clarify, simplify, or streamline aircraft and operator standards and certifications.
• It will help unify public and private sector definitions and aid in the development of services.
This document has been developed according to the following guiding principles. It should:
• Provide functional definitions;
• Be consistent with current industry practice;
• Be consistent with existing literature to the extent practicable;
• Be useful across disciplines;
• Be clear and cogent and, as such, it should avoid or define ambiguous terms;
• Address inconsistencies in overlapping work and competing definitions in the field of shared mobility to achieve standardization; and
• Not provide any competitive advantage for any particular shared mode or service provider.